Policy on Personal Information Protection
Note: The English translation is provided for information. The original Japanese version remains the sole official version. If there is any discrepancy between the two versions, the Japanese original should take precedence.
2. Sophia School Corporation establishes an organizational control system for personal information protection, and properly collects, uses, and provides personal information in compliance with all relevant rules and regulations.
3. Sophia School Corporation takes all necessary information security and other safety measures to ensure the accuracy and safety of personal information, endeavoring to prevent unauthorized access to and loss, destruction, alteration, leakage, etc. of such information.
4. Sophia School Corporation complies with all laws, rules, regulations, and standards relating to personal information and makes its internal rules, regulations, and systems conform to these.
Definition of “personal information”
“Personal information” means personal information as defined in Article 2, Paragraph (1) of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information (Act No. 57 of 2003). Personal information identifies, or can identify, a specific living individual and includes the following:
(1) Information that belongs to a specific individual, information that can identify an individual based on a number, symbol, or other code assigned to the individual, an image, a sound, etc., or information that alone cannot identify an individual but can be easily checked with other information and thereby can identify the individual
(2) Information written or printed on paper or information processed or stored by a computer, an optical processing device, etc.
Collection of personal information
When collecting personal information, Sophia School Corporation reveals the purpose of use of such information and other necessary matters and notifies or publicizes them. Please refer to privacy policies created separately by Sophia School Corporation or the schools established by it.
Sophia School Corporation lawfully and justly collects personal information only to the extent necessary to achieve purposes specified in advance.
Limitations on use of personal information
Safety management measures
To protect the safety of and maintain the accuracy of personal information, Sophia School Corporation designates responsible person(s) in charge of managing personal information and takes necessary and appropriate safety management measures to prevent alteration, leakage, outflow, etc. of personal information. For more details, please refer to privacy policies created separately by Sophia School Corporation and the universities and schools established by it.
In addition, when there is an operational necessity to outsource personal information-related functions to an external party, Sophia School Corporation signs a memorandum, etc. with the entrusted company and appropriately supervises the company and its employees.
Furthermore, Sophia School Corporation endeavors to have all of its faculty and staff members develop a thorough awareness of compliance with rules and regulations and protection of personal information through educational training, etc.
Point of contact for inquiries
A person who is the subject of personal information can request disclosure, notification of purpose of use, correction, deletion, suspension of use, etc. of the information.
For more details about necessary procedures, etc., please refer to privacy policies created separately by Sophia School Corporation and the universities and schools established by it or contact each university or school directly.
For general information on how Sophia School Corporation handles personal information, please use the point of contact provided below.
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8554
Office of General Affairs, Bureau of General Affairs, Sophia School Corporation,
Phone number: 03-3238-3172
(Revised in August 2022)